Thursday, November 21, 2013

A Dad by any other name

I am….very bad at this whole blogging thing, I tend to only really post when I a) have something I feel is worth saying, and b) have the time to actually write it out.  And really these two things have to happen at the same time. I tend to not write things down for later review which means that unless I get the urge to write something when I have an idea, it is likely to stay an idea for quite a while, in general they rattle around my head till the noise becomes too much and I sit down and let them out here.

On the subject of rattling ideas I’ve had this once bouncing between my right and left ear for a while now and I wanted to let it out now that I really have a chance to form the thoughts.

Kiddo calls me Kevin; it is my name after all and it is how I was introduced to him. It works well for us, he is comfortable with it, and I generally always know who he is talking too.  Overall I think he and I are building a pretty healthy step person relationship and honestly labels have never concerned me too much.

But people on the outside of our relationship get a little confused.

“When do you think he will start calling you dad?” they will ask me to which I respond that I don’t know if he ever will and that’s fine

“Does it bother you that he calls you Kevin?” to which I respond not at all.

Here is the thing about this business of what my stepson calls me, it isn’t about what other people think is correct as far as timelines is concerned, it isn’t about face time, and really it isn’t even about what I want. Kiddo can call me Kevin into his thirties for all that I care, at the end of the day the things that really matter are actions,  I will be there for the parent teacher conferences, to stay home with him when he is sick, probably to teach him to drive when the time comes, and assuming I survive that experience I will be there for every other milestone in his life and that right there is what matters more than what he calls me.

Also, when explaining his home to a friend he once described me as “my Kevin” which beats the pants off of dad.


-ITBrewer

1 comment: